Notification: Please enable JavaScript and reload this page. Malts requires all users to enter their date of birth and country for verification of legal drinking age.
facebook-square pinterest-square twitter-square YouTube angle-down angle-left angle-right angle-up body caret-down caret-left caret-right caret-up casks character cross distillation Distillers-Edition Drops-of-Wisdom-close Drops-of-Wisdom-info Drops-of-Wisdom-orientation-arrow fermentation finish highlands islands left-arrow lowlands magnifying mashing minus nose palate Playhead plus process qq quote right-arrow scotland-outline scotland-shape Special-Release speyside star-half-empty star-half star-o star wechat weibo type-of-malt minus2 plus2

Bureauonderzoek

Verhalen vanuit het 'Lagavulin Bureau'

Het is maar een kleine gedenkplaat. Maar het vertelt een ontzettend lang verhaal. Het is het verhaal van een dynastie, en zijn rol in de groei van Lagavulin. Het ligt op een Georgisch bureau - welke eerder mooi is dan elegant - en het registreert de namen van de partners die er al meer dan honderd jaar zitten.

Tegenwoordig is dit imposante bureau te vinden in de Diageo Archives in Menstrie, waar er met veel liefde voor wordt gezorgd. Een foto van één van zijn illustere voormalige eigenaren staat in de hoek, alsof het ons herinnert aan de herkomst van het bureau.

Op het bureau zelf ligt een bundel papier met het opschrift "The Cooper". Daar staat het bureau, klaar om aan te werken, alsof het verwacht dat iemand er nog steeds aan zou komen zitten. Het is niet ongeliefd. Het wordt nog steeds gekoesterd. Het is alleen dat, nou ja, een bureau een eigenaar nodig heeft.

Het lijkt te zeggen: “Ooit, kende ik betere tijden. Machtige mannen zaten aan een stoel voor me, openden mijn schrijfhelling en schreven een brief. Dit was ver voor het computertijdperk van nu. Toen het geschreven woord nog iets betekende.”

En wat voor mannen waren het!

William Graham is de eerst vermelde eigenaar, in 1801. Het bureau stond in het kantoor van zijn familie in Glasgow. De Graham-familie bestond uit whisky-makelaars met sterke banden met Islay. Zij traden waarschijnlijk op als agenten voor de meeste, of zelfs alle malt whisky van het eiland. Dus toen Lagavulin werd opgericht in 1816, waren zij er verantwoordelijk voor dat John Johnston zijn whisky voor het eerst kwam verkopen. Zoals het bureau zo plechtig vastlegt, volgde Alexander Graham William op in 1830 - en tegen die tijd was Lagavulin al een succes. Vijftien jaar later vond het bureau zijn derde eigenaar. In 1845 gingen de Grahams een partnerschap aan met James Logan Mackie, een 22-jarige jongeman uit Edinburgh, om de agentschappen voor zowel Lagavulin als zijn buur Laphroaig te runnen, evenals een Campbeltown-concern, Beith, Ross & Co.

Desk plaque

We don’t know why the young Mackie moved to Glasgow to work in this trade, but he did have family connections. His younger brother Nathaniel became a wine and spirit merchant with his own business while his father John had inherited a property in Cannongate, Edinburgh, probably next to what would become the famous White Horse Inn, of which the desk will have more to say.

So in 1845 we find J Logan Mackie sitting here, his name the third to be engraved, and soon the name of the business would become James L. Mackie and Company; the surviving Graham, one Captain Graham, managing affairs on Islay while Mackie controlled business in Glasgow. It seems likely that the Grahams had the money and Mackie, the business acumen, and that it was a happy marriage of skills, for their partnership endured happily right through the nineteenth century.

Events went their way and John Johnston found himself obliged to sell to his agents. By 1852 the lease to both Lagavulin farm and the distillery were in Graham hands and the firm was called James L. Mackie & Company. Lagavulin now had the owners who would make it famous.

For thirty-three years James Logan Mackie sat at his desk, this desk, in Glasgow, growing older and managing an increasingly successful business. By this time Lagavulin was probably the largest of the Islay distilleries; most likely it still comprised two distilleries on a single site, as sources refer to ‘Lagavulin No 1 and No 2’ in the mid 1870s. By 1878 he was 55, and looking for a successor.

Once again, the desk tells the story. “Peter Jeffrey Mackie”, the engraving runs. “1878”. Peter was James’ great nephew, the grandson of his elder brother, Peter. And like James before him, he was a young man – just a year older than James had been on his arrival in Glasgow.

Peter was sent to Lagavulin to learn the secrets of distilling. The trip marked the start of a love affair with the island that endured throughout his life. On returning to Glasgow he set to work, with his great-uncle James, to market Lagavulin more widely as a single malt, and to develop their blended whisky trade.

His is a story told elsewhere, and he only stayed at ‘our’ desk a mere eleven years; a deskbound life was not for ‘Restless Peter’. By 1889 it had a new occupant, A.H. Holm, while Mackie was about to rename the firm Mackie and Company, which he did the following year.

In 1895, James retired, and Mackie & Company became a limited company, still with Mr. Holm at the desk as Managing Director. He clearly enjoyed flying the flag for the firm too – in June 1903 we find him on a visit to New Zealand, staying at the Royal Oak Hotel, Wellington while in 1908 he writes to his agents there to inform them of the granting of a Royal Warrant by King Edward VIIth, for White Horse Whisky “supplied to the Royal Household during the past 25 years”). One A.H. (Andrew) Holm played full back for Queens Park in 1882-3 – could it be him?

Our desk’s next occupant is the newly appointed Sales Director, Geoffrey Hope Johnstone, appointed in 1896. And there is no mystery about his successor, who has a very familiar name. James Logan Mackie arrives in 1914 and he, of course, is the 21 year old eldest child and only son of Sir Peter Mackie.

Sadly, his time is brief. He is killed on active service in Palestine, and Sir Peter suffers a blow from which he never recovers. He retakes control, then the desk passes to his son-in-law, G.O.L Campbell, who takes office in 1921. It is he who sees the firm renamed White Horse Distillers in 1924, just after Sir Peter’s death.

The desk enjoyed another life, beyond this time. It was removed from Lagavulin distillery when the first visitor centre was built in the former Manager’s Office. For its first 125 years, it remained on the mainland. But for its next 75, it served Lagavulin managers well.

A desk with a story, indeed.