Cardhu 16 Year Old Special Releases 2022 Single Malt Scotch Whisky, 70cl
Legend has it, one day the ancient black rock beneath Cardhu gave an earth-shaking crack and a great warmth rushed forth from within, unleashing a tropical paradise. Biting wind became a soft breeze and lush aromas of passion-flower and pineapple danced through the distillery and its grounds, enveloping all it touched with a rare, exotic quality. At midnight, the chasm closed, silent once again forevermore. Only the vibrant whisky distilled that day remained to tell the tale.
Standing on the wind-whipped heather fields that surround the Cardhu distillery today, the verdant lilac grounds belie the truth of Cardhu’s origin name, ‘the black rock’, Carn Dubh. From this splendoured hill, the Cardhu distillery grew with unmistakable allure. From its iconic red door, the distillery welcomed passersby for centuries, inviting them with a vibrant whisky, crisp with the sweet taste of Scottish orchards.
Here, finishing in Jamaican Rum casks, a vibrant tropical sweetness awakens. Golden colour vies with smooth texture, as heady sweet aromas of pink grapefruit and ripe mango beguile the nose. On the palate the smooth rum toffee-sweet taste offers drying, exotic hints of spiced pineapple and green banana. Bursting with lush aromas- a whisky that tastes of paradise.
- A richly honeyed Cardhu with lush, tropically sweet, rum cask-rounded flavours and peppery wood-spice, which combine to create a vibrant taste of paradise.
- A lush and honeyed Scotch, erupting with tropical sweetness. Finished in Jamaican Pot Still Rum Casks.
- Light on its feet, lush and sweet while also lively and fresh, with a surprisingly spicy, peppery finish, so making an especially exotic apéritif malt.
- Best served neat, pour 60ml of Cardhu 16YO in a whisky glass and enjoy.
- Cardhu 16YO is a unique gift that stands out within the Special Releases collection, and is perfect for get-togethers with friends or family.
Light to medium.
Beguiling first impressions begin with the fresh, sweet fruitiness of lemon zest and white grape enriched by exotic notes of pink grapefruit and ripe mango, all on a faintly mossy base, a note that evolves into freshly ironed linen. A notably spicy and woody note soars high above. A drop of water dries these aromas and introduces a pinch of white pepper.
A creamy-smooth and full texture, the taste erupting with sweet flavour. Tingling on the tongue, the fruity and malty sweetness behind this suggesting home-made rum toffee and more exotic hints of spiced pineapple and green banana, made more appetising still by spicy and drying, bracingly crisp, clean oak. A dash of water creates a delightful and even smoother texture, still strong in peppery spice.
Quite short, sweet and peppery. With water, the oaky spiciness is even more forward.