The History Of Clynelish
Built by the Marquess of Stafford to provide a ready market for the barley grown by his tenants.
The distillery is leased to James Harper, the first of three tenants who would manage the site for the best part of 80 years.
Clynelish is bought by blending company Ainslie & Co.
Power now comes from a steam engine, in addition to the water wheel.
John Risk, already a 50% shareholder, buys the distillery and forms the Clynelish Distillery Co. Ltd.
John Risk sells his shares.
Scottish Malt Distillers now own 100% of Clynelish.
Clynelish is another victim claimed by the depression, closing its doors in the hope that the halt isn’t permanent.
Better times mean Clynelish is up and running again.
After just four years, wartime barley restrictions force the distillery to close once again until 1945.
Construction of a modern distillery to the south is completed. Old Clynelish closes to make room for it’s modern replacement – the distillery we know as Clynelish today.
Old Clynelish is reborn as Brora Distillery, producing a peated malt.
Despite its resurrection and success, Brora distillery is closed.
With two additional washbacks, the distillery can now work seven days a week