Oban 10 Year Old Special Release 2022 Single Malt Scotch Whisky, 70cl
As our legend goes, a vivid blaze of light grew against the ink-black sky above Oban, driven by a celestial being. A sprightly and energetic creature carried on the stars, charged across the heavens and showered the sky in an explosion of violet brilliance, shedding its ethereal light on the Oban distillery. An intense vibrancy lit the grounds with hues of plum and blackberry, infusing Oban with an other-worldly sweetness, rarely seen.
On a rare autumn night at Oban bay, the shimmering lights of the Aurora Borealis illuminate this quaint coastal town and its namesake distillery. One of the oldest and smallest distilleries in Scotland, in 1794 Oban rose, bringing an electric vibrancy to the quiet surroundings. Small as it may be, its mythical nature has been written in the stars for centuries.
Maturation in refill and new American Oak, then double maturation in ex-Sherry & Amontillado seasoned casks, brings a mild nose with maritime salt and sea air. The creamy texture introduces a taste rich in sweet hints of wine-poached spiced plum, balanced by vibrant salt and spice, before finishing as chilli pepper. Rich, sticky sweetness sparkles through light smoke and salt, in an Oban of super-natural character.
- Gentle on the nose, with maritime aromas, this super-natural Oban has a rich personality on the palate; a second maturation in Amontillado casks gently bringing new layers of vibrancy and flavour.
- Rich caramel and spice light up violet plum and blackberry. Secondary maturation in ex-Sherry and Amontillado Seasoned casks.
- A celestial marriage of creamy smoothness, richly sweet fruitiness, light smoke, salt, and peppery spice.
- Best served neat, pour 60ml of Oban 10YO in a whisky glass and enjoy.
- Oban 10YO is a unique gift that stands out within the Special Releases collection, and is perfect for get-togethers with friends or family.
Pale, ethereal gold.
Gentle in feel, with no prickle. The top notes are faint at first yet grow easier to make out, studded with maritime hints of salt crystal, edible seaweed, and ozone-fresh sea air. As the senses adjust a very faint smokiness appears, infused with mere suggestions of lint and light olive oil, and a light note of lemon citrus fruit.
The texture is soft and creamy-smooth, while the taste shines brightly with wine-fruit notes that carry hints of sweet violet and spiced plum. The fruit is balanced by a lively spiciness first met as saltiness mid-palate, then in a blazing dash of chili pepper. A little water softens the taste, taming the spiciness without altering the balance overall.
Quite long and surprisingly peppery, leaving a smooth memory of chili pepper in the maritime aftertaste.