The History Of Teaninich
Captain Hugh Munro, descendant of an ancient family and owner of the estate, builds a distillery on his estate.
After 13 years battling the competition of illicit distilleries for buying grain and selling whisky, Teaninich’s production is up 30-fold. Around this time, Hugh sells the estate as a going concern to his younger brother Lieutenant General John Munro.
John Munro, often on active service in India, decides to lease the distillery to Robert Pattinson from Leith, and later John McGilchrist Ross.
Writer Alfred Barnard describes Teaninich as the only distillery north of Inverness to be lit by electricity, or fitted with telephones.
Another John Munro, a spirit merchant, and Robert Innes Cameron, a giant of the whisky world at the time, take over tenancy.
Roderick Kemp sells his share of Talisker, using the money to buy Macallan.
Robert Innes Cameron becomes the sole proprietor of Teaninich, and operates it until his death in 1932.
The trustees sell to Scottish Malt Distillers Company Limited.
Like many at the time, Teaninich closes due to barley shortages until 1946, when two stills were removed.
Electricity replaces steam and water power at the stillhouse.
The property is modernised again, with a new building next to the old complex, housing six brand new stills.
The milling, mashing and fermentation installations of the old part of the distillery are rebuilt. The distillery now covers some 20 acres, with eight houses for workers.
Another addition, this time to process cattle feed from the distillery’s waste.
The old distillery buildings close.
The newer stills are also shut down.
Teaninich is revived, though the old buildings remained mothballed.
The older buildings are finally decommissioned.